In a few easy steps you can turn your Windows 7 laptop in a wireless hotspot without installing extra software. There is special software that do the same and that have many more features. But if you just need quickly a wireless hotspot for your mobile phone or tablet this is a good alternative.
You need to follow the steps below:
- Start a command prompt with administrator privileges.
- Execute the following command to create the hotspot.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=myssid key=mypassword
Do not close the command prompt yet!
- Open the Network and Sharing center and go to Change Adapter Settings.
- Right click on your internet connection and choose Properties.
- Select the tab Sharing.
- Check the option ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection‘ .
- Under ‘Home networking connection‘ select the hotspot that was created earlier. It is probably called ‘Wireless Network Connection 2‘.
- Click OK.
- If you are using a dial-up connection then you need to stop and start the connection.
- Go back to the command prompt.
- Execute the following command to start the hotspot.
netsh wlan start hostednetwork (use netsh wlan stop hostednetwork to stop the hotspot).
Now the hotspot on the laptop is ready to be used. You only need to configure you mobile phone or tablet.